On my Instagram, my first photo from 4 years ago, is of me on campus with a nice soft smile. The caption reads, “Ready to start the journey.”
College was more than a journey. College was more than just a rollercoaster.
At times it felt like I was getting run over by a semi.
At times it felt like I being hugged by the world.
At times it felt like I just missed joining the Olympics by a few seconds.
At times it felt like I forgot how to breathe.
At times it felt like I won the lottery…twice in a row.
I have done a lot of reflection the last few weeks. As I sell my furniture. As I finish my last class as an undergraduate. As I pack my suitcases.
Reflection always comes when life gets real…real quick.
So, here I am. Staring at this photo. Trying to remember what was going on in that 18 year olds head. How am I different?
I like lists.
Here are 100 things college has shown me.
- Live your life. Not someone else’s life.
- If you choose to follow #1 do it boldly.
- Find mentors
- Listen to your mentors
- Be grateful
- Call your family
- Call your friends
- Smile until your cheeks hurt
- Kill the world with kindness
- Vulnerability is scary, but so worth it
- Foster friendships
- Don’t be afraid of strangers
- Don’t let fear hold you back
- Purchase an umbrella
- Be spontaneous
- Follow your gut
- Treat your gut well with healthy food
- Exercise as much as you study
- Don’t live in books
- Be present
- Find what you are good at
- Listen to the world speak
- Empathy, empathy, empathy
- zeal, zeal, zeal
- Haters gonna hate
- No excuse is good enough
- Action expresses priority
- Prayer is active
- Crying is okay
- Emotions are okay
- Frustration is okay
- Call people by their name
- Look people in the eye
- Hug people
- Sometimes just being is enough
- Be creative
- Find a Church
- Never miss a Sunday
- Find a quiet place
- Reflection, reflection, reflection
- Find woke people
- Fellowship with woke people
- Wear the clothes you want to wear
- Fall asleep in weird places
- Life is fun if you make it fun
- Life is boring if you make it boring
- Tell people that you love them
- Tell your crush that you like them
- Embody courage
- Patience isn’t something you learn right away
- Your future is so bright you need shades
- Serve the poor
- Listen to the narratives of the underserved
- Buy someone a coffee
- Buy someone a gift randomly
- Write a friend a letter
- You may think no one understands you, we are all human
- Because I am human, I have limits
- Only God can give me peace
- The world is dark, be a light
- Be the salt of the earth
- Don’t wear green shorts and a green shirt
- Being silly is a good thing.
- Laugh at failure/mistakes and move on
- Some people come to your life for a reason
- Other people need to leave your life for a reason
- Be consistent
- Don’t say you are if you haven’t shown it
- Dance like everyone is watching and kill it
- Humility, humility, humility
- Take deep breaths
- Make sure you have a towel on the rack before you jump in the shower.
- Take cold showers to wake up.
- Don’t be idle
- Don’t live in your own head.
- Heartbreaks heal in time
- Don’t be jealous
- Ask for help
- Organize your desk
- 4 years goes by like lightning
- Stop the vanity
- Run in the rain with your friends
- Kiss someone like spiderman
- Be someone’s superhero
- Don’t buy what you don’t need
- Don’t clutter your life, throw stuff away
- Jesus Christ anchors
- Get nice hats for bad hair days
- Don’t feel obligated
- Put down that cell phone
- Pick up that Bible
- Live away from home
- Find your home
- Take a random elective
- Push yourself to always be better
- Yes or No, don’t live a life of maybe
- Take action
- Read between the lines of textbooks
100. Nothing matters but loving God and the people He has made.